GreekItalian - ItalyEnglish (United Kingdom)

top_layer

The  Ephorate of Antiquities of Corfu is a regional service of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism whose competence extends to the entire administrative region of Corfu (Corfu, Paxoi, and the satellite islands). In consequence, all monuments (whether individual or protected settlements) from prehistoric, classical, Byzantine and Post-Byzantine period fall within its jurisdiction, including, the Archaeological Museum of Corfu,  the extremely important historic center of Corfu city—a UNESCO World Heritage Site—as a whole, and of course, the Antivouniotissa Museum. More Information Hellenic Ministry of Culture & Sports

Director : Diamanto Rigakou, Archeologist



 logo_21Ephorate of Antiquities of Corfu 
The Old Fortress, 49 100 Corfu, Greece

(tel. +30 26610 38313, 48310)
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ,         www.antivouniotissamuseum.gr


Organized archaeological sites open to the public – permanent exhibitions
* of Byzantine & Post-byzantine period.

1.Corfu Old Fortress (Archaeological Site)

 

 

1.1 Corfu Byzantine Collection (Permanent Exhibition)

ebook

1.2 Church of Saint George

The monumental Saint George in the Old Fortress is one of Corfu’s largest churches. Located on the south side of the Fortress, it was built during the period when the island was a British Protectorate (1815-1864). Construction began in 1840 in accordance with the design of the English military architect Emmett, so that the church could serve the religious needs of the British Garrison stationed in the Old Fortress. It belongs to the so-called “Georgian” style, a neo-classical architectural movement already prevalent in England during the period.

When the British withdrew from the Heptanese following the Union with Greece (May 21, 1864), the church and the barracks in the Fortress came under the jurisdiction of the Military Command of the Ionian Islands. One year later the hitherto Anglican church was converted into an Orthodox place of worship for the soldiers of the Greek Army. In 1864, the well-known Corfiot Voulgaris family donated to Saint George the stone iconostasis of Saint Spyridon —of which church it was the founder— with all its icons. For the same reason, various churches in both town and countryside donated many icons and other sacred objects. The church was consecrated with much ceremony on May 21, 1865, by the then Metropolitan of Corfu, Athanasios Polites, who dedicated it to Saint George, patron saint of the Infantry.

The structure of the church interior has been altered due to destruction suffered during the Second World War (bombardment of Corfu in 1941, 1943 and 1944). It was originally divided into three sections by a double row of cast-iron columns (three-aisle basilica) supporting a gallery which ran round three sides of the building (Pi-shaped). Today, it is single-aisled. A number of the church’s original icons, attributed to the great 17th century painter Emmanouil Tzanes, are preserved on its iconostasis together with more recent paintings.

After the Second World War, Saint George was repaired under the auspices of the Church of Corfu and the Officer Cadet Academy that was for a time installed in the Old Fortress, and began operating again. Later, the church, together with the entire complex of the Old Fortress, passed into the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture and the competence of the 21st Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.

Today, the Divine Liturgy is performed on given days throughout the year under the Ephorate’s responsibility; temporary archaeological exhibits of religious art as well as musical and other events fully compatible with the sanctity of its space are also held in the church.

1.3 Museum Shop

 

2. Archaeological Tour of the Byzantine Monuments of Palaiopolis
(Network of accessible monuments – Archaeological sites)

new

 

3. Byzantine Fortress "Aggelokastron" (Archeological Site)

Ebook

*Contact the Ephorate of Antiquities of Corfu for exact times of operation.

banner_kerkyra